Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Another First Day

Here are my 5th and 6th graders . . . holy cow! Are they really THAT old? Yep . . . and THAT tall . . . and THAT grown up. It's amazing now to me - mostly because though I have a horrible memory, I remember a bit about 5th and 6th grade.

Our boundaries had changed and in 5th grade, I found myself at a new elementary - not fun. The night before school started, a friend, Jana I think, called to ask me what teacher I had and unfortunately I had to tell her I'd been a victim of the boundary change. Bummer. But I got to MUIR Elementary and things were a bit different - We had a large "pod" type set up with 3 teachers and all the 5th graders in the same general area. I ran for class office and my slogan was, "Vote for Tonya or BEAT IT!" accompanied by a snazzy Teen-Beat picture of a Red-leather Jacket donning Michael Jackson. I did not get elected.

The big thing about 6th grade was the Renaissance Fair we did . . . we drew for "characters" and instead of being a maiden or a queen or anything beautiful like that . . . I drew NUN!!! Hated it. But tried to be a good sport. I got to interview people and find out a little more about Nuns - and yep . . . I got the full Nun clothing. I did however get to shed that Nun character when I played Lady Macbeth in our shortened version of "Macbeth" - I even got to swear because it was in the script. It was a very great experience for me to be in that play. It gave me a lot of confidence and I was told at the ripe age of a 6th grader that I was really good!!!

So now as my oldest kiddos are asking me every 2 minutes if they can go yet . . . I reflect on how fast life moves. How quickly kids grow. How much I just want my 5th and 6th grader to have a good experience and gain the knowledge and confidence they need for life.

Next week . . . my first grader begins!!! Argh! This is all going to kill me!

2 comments:

The Weston's said...

SOOOOOOO cute. They look so grown up!

franchise for exports said...

I conceive this website has got some real great information for everyone.

-------------------------
franchise for exports | cattle exports | livestock exports