Friday, January 16, 2009

January in Anchorage

Hi there!!! Yes, I'm still here . . . very busy, but still here. I really wish I could do it all - get everything done and have an up-to-date, killer blog - but I guess I'll have to grow into that. I have been getting a lot done at and for the store. It is really taking on my vision and I am excited about it. I'll take photos & post them soon. I've gotten to the point where I'm more excited for having bought it than freaked out, so I guess that's good.

Today is the third "snow day" in a row for canceled school. I had no idea that we here in Anchorage were having such horrible weather, what with the national news coverage all about the eastern and central states . . . you'd think that their chilly weather was the be-all/end-all of stories - well, we've gone from persistent double digit below zero to double digit above zero - now that doesn't sound so bad, but add that once it started warming up we had inches of thick sheets of ice with a thin layer of water all over the place - freezing rain - and now up to 100 mile an hour winds and well, BEAT THAT EAST COAST!!! Waaaah is all I can say to them!

As for our cute little family - the kids are loving that they are having a 6 (yes, I said SIX) day weekend. Seeing how they have had these 3 days off, then the regular Sat & Sun off, then the MLK holiday on Monday - that's almost and entire WEEK of my kids - just after that long Winter break. They are sweet, but the root of the issue is - they get sick of each other. But they ARE cute and we have been able to get out a little. I think the person in charge of calling snow day is just simply not in the mood to go to work. That or maybe they don't foresee using the budgeted-for snow days and need to take advantage of them . . . regardless, it's not been THAT bad. Remember - we're the TOUGH ones when it comes to harsh weather conditions.

On another note - my dear husband twisted his ankle this morning playing basketball - now, he's not new to this swollen, painful ankle situation, it's happened once, or twice, maybe more . . . so he says, "There's nothing they can do about it." - So here's the question - do I MAKE him go see someone - or just wait to see if it starts to improve????? Men - they're so darn tough you gotta admire them - that or just think they're absolutely crazy stubborn!

8 comments:

The Weston's said...

hey hey hey- you ARE alive! Miss ya- and thanks for that darling album- :)

Dorothy said...

Remind Danny of the RICE method and if it doesn't feel better by the first of the week, tell him "I" said to see a doctor.

Sarah said...

Waaaaa....you are right! I like to think that being raised in Vermont has made me tough, but I'm still whining about the cold temps here in Virginia.

Sarah said...

Waaaaa....you are right! I like to think that being raised in Vermont has made me tough, but I'm still whining about the cold temps here in Virginia.

Juannaelmi said...

I agree with you about all this namby pamby whining going on about the weather...well, from other people that is.

Tiffanie N. said...

It's a good thing I read this post or I would've sent my kids to the bus stop Monday morning. I didn't realize it was a 6-day weekend!

Kristi said...

yea, I'm so glad you are happy with the store. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before everything balances itself out...I need some pink polka dot paper so I'll see you sometime this week.

Tell Dan I'm so sorry, sports injuries are the worst. makes you wonder why he doesn't just sleep in.

Smedley Family said...

hey lady! love to read up on you! i don't know if i'm behind the times or not, but my mom said you bought doyle's scrapbook shop.