Friday, May 22, 2009

The older I get, the more I realize . . .

Democracy exists so the quiet voice can be heard.

I admit it . . . I was TOTALLY into American Idol this time around - from the first humiliating auditions. I think that's how you get sucked in . . . if you see those first horrific clothing ensembles and wails with the humorous criticisms, I mean critiques - surrounding a gem or two, you get stuck on the couch, same time twice a week . . . anyway . . . I was a Gokey fan through and true until a generic, common-face cutie started showing his guitar and piano talent accompanying a great voice and fresh, genuine style - that continued with each and every theme . . . being just versatile enough - but being so . . . well . . . Kris. So yes, again I admit . . . I voted - with two phones - for almost the entire 4 hour voting block. Silly - I think I've only voted twice before - a couple for Underwood and a bit more for Cook - just to say that I added my opinion . . . but this time - it was on principle. I really like Adam . . . really, I do! And no one that voted for Kris will say Adam isn't an AMAZING singer - with stage presence and conviction. However . . . after he butchered a Johnny Cash song (don't ever do that!) - and repeated his token tongue-out-of-the-mouth scream and token smoldering look into the camera and token Elvis snarl in each and every song - throwing in a few extra here and there . . . well . . . it all got too predictable. And boring. And dare I quote Simon, "Indulgent!"

So marking my checklist off . . . great last performances by Kris - check, Gokey fans likely on his side - check, doing my part to vote as much as possible - check, hoping the Lambert "Rock God" titleling (is that a word) would work in Kris' favor - check . . . I still worried. Especially as I watched the final results show . . . with enough star power to fill the milky way . . . it seemed very much a build up to Lambert's final performances . . . really, do you think they spent half as many Idol-bucks on Kris' celebrity duet w/ Keith Urban (who I LOVE by the way!!!) and set as they did on Kiss' makeup, elevator, platforms and fireworks show??? Not to mention those sparklies outlining Adam's eyes - probably real diamonds. I thought for sure it was all leading up to Adam's crowning moment when Kiss, Queen, Kara and all of San Francisco would circle him - lift him to heaven and watch him rule the world.

Then it came . . . the moment when Ryan announced Kris' name and he couldn't believe it himself! It's one thing being called the underdog, and quite another when they throw an "UNDERDOG" labeled feeding dish out at lunch time only half full with dry pellets while you see your competition fed with a silver spoon every delicacy available on the planet . . . no wonder he was surprised.
Kris Allen on FOX's "American Idol 8"
But this just proves my theory . . . that voting is the only way to hear the quiet voice. The loud voice just cannot believe that Kris won - have you seen the horrible things on the internet - the accusasions, the excuses for why Adam didn't win??? Homophobia, fear of those who are artistic, shutting down anything different!!! REALLY? Maybe, just maybe the majority is made up of people who DO like Kris better - who prefer his style - who would rather just quietly vote than scream from the rooftops or laptops that their King is superior.

It's happened with Prop 8 - the majority has spoken
It happened when Bush won - twice - the majority spoke

So it makes me laugh a little bit when that loud voice claims to speak for the majority - cuz what I'm hearing is that Kris Allen is the new American Idol!!!

No comments: