Thursday, April 17, 2008

Music

It's not easy to find good music these days . . . something new and "in" with clean, non-offensive lyrics - so the other day I was happy to find a solution . . . 


I was introduced to this site a couple years ago and have used it sparingly because I have iTunes. But I've felt a need for something new. I have been into a couple songs lately . . . "Sorry" by Buckcherry and "Paralyzer" by Finger Eleven. My louder side is prevailing at the moment.

On Pandora, you can enter a song and it builds a "radio station" around it . . . then you can find music that is similar to the style. Once I got a good list of songs off the radio station . . . I looked up the lyrics to those songs (gotta love modern technology!) to find the ones I would approve of listening to with my kids in the car - then I headed to iTunes and made some great purchases. I'm going to made a couple CD's for the car and bingo - new music that won't shock me once I finally work out all the lyrics.

The great thing about this is that I've found a few artists I would not have otherwise found - and going through the lyrics, I can pick out the good from those artists and leave the bad or offensive behind.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Tonya:

Thanks for your very kind words about Pandora.

I wanted to let you know that you can set your account to make sure it avoids offensive language.

To do so, go to www.pandora.com. Once you are logged in (which should happen automatically if you have used Pandora on that computer before), click on the "Account" link that is on the top right (next to the link for "Sign Out").

Once you have clicked on "Account", you will see a screen titled "Your Account Settings". In the lower left, you will see the words "Allow explicit content?" If it is currently set to "Yes" then click on the "edit" link right next to it. On the next screen, click on the button that says "No, Do not allow explicit content."

I hope this is helpful.

Joe from Pandora

Run-alyn said...

Oh Tonya! I have recently made that discovery (due to another blog, in fact she is a shopper at MTAM.. Tina Azmus.. she is so cool!) You would like her style.. she designs for STudio Calico.. very cool stuff..

Anyway.. I love Pandora! I have artist's playlist from Alicia Keys to Bon Jovi.. oh those days.. I love when that playlists goes on.. and then I searched John Mayer and found so many good new artists!!!

Is that guy (comment below) from Pandora? How cool is that?