Friday, April 4, 2008

Pieces of Home Part II

So when we first moved in there were a few things we wanted to do to the house - nothing serious, a little paint here, a small repair there. And for anyone who has ever moved, you know how crazy things are in the beginning when most of your belongings are still in boxes and you don't know where anything is . . . well that was the case - and as I tried to stay away from doing "my" room first - I just couldn't function! I had a space in the condo of my own, but now I have an entire ROOM! It's not only my scrap room - it's where I do our
finances, where I check e-mail, do the blog, keep my calendar, etc . . . you can imagine how UNORGANIZED I felt, so I decided not to feel guilty about it - and dive right in to fixing up my room first. Dan was a little surprised {and impressed} that I painted it so bright green . . . since I'm all about browns and neutrals, but it makes me happy - and I decided if I wanted to go for it, why not REALLY go for it, ya' know!

Some of my favorite features are:
1) There's a little "lavatory" {you can see the door there on the left in the first photo} and I say "lavatory" because it reminds me of when I was a kid in school - and that's what this little bathroom reminds me of. There's a toilet made just for short little hineys - the bowl's only a few inches off the ground - and there's a little itty bitty sink. This must have been a day care or preschool at one point.
2) There's a half door - you know the kind - you can separate the top from the bottom and close just the bottom - so you can see and hear what's going on - but you're giving the "Mommy means business" message.
3) I have my sewing machine out at all times - what a HUGE benefit. I sew a lot on my projects so to have it out is very helpful - and I've also noticed that clothes needing to be mended get taken care of right away - can't beat that!
4) I have a sliding door out to our deck, along with another big window. Plenty of light - and BEAUTIFUL views of the park - plus I can see the kids walking their path to or from school.
5) It's right off the kitchen and next to the laundry area - 'nuff said.
6) It's still secluded enough that I feel like I'm retreating to my oasis on occasion.
7) There is enough room for EVERYTHING I need to create ANYTHING . . . fabric, craft supplies, scrap stuff, photo storage - you name it, I can keep it here.

So - call me selfish - or just call me an organization freak, but I got my room done first - and I've been extremely productive ever since!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I love your room!!! We moved last May and I now have my own room too, but it isn't near as cute as yours. Seeing your pictures makes me want to get busy with it - but I have WAY too many other projects I need to finish first. Boo-hoo.