Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Awesome Mom-ness

So - many of you know I'm not the most relaxed mother on the planet. I like cleanliness and order and propriety. Therefore, anything that falls outside my comfort zone as a mom is note-worthy!!

One of my vivid memories as a kid was when all propriety went the way of the shag carpet!! My parents did a major remodel and renovation of our home in Bountiful. The red shag carpet and heavy velvet curtains came down and were replaced by early 80's modernness - country cottage blue style. In the midst of ripping down old wallpaper, we began murals of pure art. Stick figure family portraits. Doodles. Who knows what else - I think there may be a photo somewhere. Wish I had it.

So after we ripped the carpet out of the family room this week, I felt nostalgic which morphed into proprietary rebellion. I told the kids about my memory and gave them the "maybe!" when they asked if they could do it.

Tonight - after the WORST teeth cleaning of my life, (never going to her again!) and with the pull of showing E's friend that I can be cool - I let the kids pull out the markers. And they are having a BLAST!!!!!!! This falls under the best-mom-ever category. Why not, right?



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

Lisa said...

You win the "coolest mom" award! I remember lots about your parents' home remodel--especially your dad texturing (is that the word for it?) the ceiling. I think he even let us try our hand and it!