Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy 4th of July

So over the last 10 years we've done a lot of fun things on our nation's birthday. We've gone to Homer, Alaska camping. We've gone to Kasilof, Alaska camping. We've done fireworks on our trampoline at home. We've gone hiking, camping, barbecuing, picnicking, to parades . . . you name it. But one July 4th stands out to me above the rest. We were a young couple, married just over a year. I was expecting Harrison - so we were not yet at the mercy of children and their schedules. Dan was doing an internship in Washington D.C. with the Army JAG. We were living in Stafford, Virginia with my beautiful & sweet cousin Amy and her family - {who we pretty much wanted to emulate once we grew up!} And we braved the throngs of people to spend the evening of the 4th on the mall strip in D.C. 

It was HOT that summer . . . no I mean REALLY HOT . . . 'course I was about 4 or 5 months pregnant so everything was hot. But it was an extra hot summer. We rode the Metro in and joined literally thousands and thousands of people. There were bands playing in certain areas, food being sold of course, people just having a great time being American.

The fireworks were shot from the Lincoln Memorial and we were sitting on the lawn by the (under construction at the time) Washington Monument. It was amazing the energy in the air and the excitement. I just remember being in awe when I really thought about where we were! I knew it'd be a once in a lifetime experience. 

Never have I seen a fireworks show so grand. I mean it went on forever . . . and not just the kind of string-it-out fireworks show by shooting one blast and everyone wondering if it's over until finally the next one goes snaking through the sky giving you hope for another blast. It was non-stop, over the top, beautiful action. I took rolls of film of the actual fireworks. I realize how stupid that is . . . who's going to look through rolls of horrible, dark photos of fireworks. I don't think I ever looked through them even once all the way through. You just can't replace being there.
But just as strong the memories of the celebration are the memories of trying to get home on the Metro after it was done. Granted, the thousands of celebrators came in at different time in different ways . . . but there was no mistaking that EVERYONE was trying to get home at the same time - the same way. Once you finally made it through the pushing shoulder to shoulder crowd into the Metro station . . . you were among the pushing shoulder to shoulder crowd underground - in the stifling heat - with people squished together in sweat. I remember instinctively cradling my belly in protection from the pushing and shoving. I thought I'd faint a time or two. But thanks to a sweet protective husband and a pretty good public transportation system, we were able to make it home safe and sound. 

Still - the horrible journey home does not overshadow the amazing patriotic feeling I get every time I think of that hot beautiful summer day in July of 1999.

No comments: