Thursday, July 31, 2008

Twinkie The Kid


The other day our friends were over and for some reason we were talking about food storage . . . and how long things last . . . and someone brings up the Twinkie . . . our friend pipes up and says he'll never eat one of those things again . . . had too many trunks-full of free Twinkies on his mission. But oh no - not me . . . I could never get enough of these and I explained my Twinkie philosophy - so here you go -

I remember going somewhere in the car as a kid and pulling into a convenience store parking lot. There was this life-size Twinkie (now I know it must have been some kid in a costume, but back then - it was real!) I look the Twinkie mascot over in awe and read "Twinkie The Kid" on his 10 gallon hat. My  philosophy was born then and there . . . I understood the title to mean "Twinkie the kid" as in - use the word twinkie as an adjective, something you DO to a kid, like "Spoil the kid" or "Teach the kid." It was more than a suggestion even. An admonition if you will. From that time forward . . . until just a few years ago, I'm embarrassed to admit . . . I thought the Hostess company was using fabulously strong suggestive advertising. I bought into it. I've loved Twinkies ever since. There's just something disgustingly sensational about them - if only they were on the Weight Watchers' Core Food List . . . then my life would be complete and I could Twinkie myself all the day long.

No comments: