Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Goose Girl


So . . . I was never a big reader growing up . . . I do have a favorite or two from my childhood . . . but no favorite from Jr. High or High School. Totally sad because some people talk about certain books like everyone had to read them in HS - and usually I've at least heard of the book, but never read it. Don't know why I did so well in English!?! So I love being part of a book club now. I trust the choices of material - and with the exception of a couple that I just couldn't get through . . . I've really enjoyed reading them. Goose Girl was our first book for this year's review. It took a few pages for me to commit to liking it, but I got into it pretty quickly. By a couple dozen pages in - I was really feelin' it. I love the main character - and the writing is phenomenal. Strange thing is that apparently Shannon Hale wasn't "the most talented" of the writers in her undergrad and masters programs. She had to really work hard - and it's totally paid off. I guess all those other students who were considered better writers than S. Hale are feeling pretty sad about it now!

I highly recommend this book - and I totally think it'd make a fabulous movie. It was well balanced. Well written and as far as my real requirement for a good book goes - the ending was well-earned!

3 comments:

The Weston's said...

hm,. I'll have to read it after i get done with the Harry Potter's

Juannaelmi said...

I think she is the same author that wrote "Princess Academy" You might like that one also.

Kristi said...

Oh the days I used to read. They feel like a distant memory. As of late I've resorted to audible books. I'll look it up. Thanks for the recommendation.