Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Host



OK - just so you know that I'm still a S. Meyer fan . . . I have to say that I really liked the host. After blazing through the first three books in the Twilight Saga so I'd be prepped for book 4's release . . . I had a couple days before the release party and needed something else to help pass the time on the treadmill, so I broke my intention of holding off on the host until after Breaking Dawn, and I got a little over half way through the host before pausing to read the last of the Saga. Once I was finished with a disappointing end to the Saga - I rushed back to the host in hopes that it would be a better balance and a better finish than the Twilight story. And it WAS!

I really did enjoy this book. I was also glad it was one story wrapped up in one book. I loved the characters - not one of them felt out of place or not developed enough. I really loved the flow of events . . . and the end was great - an earned ending. 

That's what I've been basing my review of a book on - if the characters (and author) earned the ending. With the Twilight Saga . . . I didn't feel like the ending was earned. With this book - it was for sure!

I was so reluctant to read this book - after getting sucked into S. Meyer's other story - I didn't want to get so addicted and distracted with it - but I found that I could put it down - but I was happy to pick it up again. I never had that feeling of "getting through it" like with some books. It was truly enjoyable and entertaining. So for those who think I ended up not liking S. Meyer - I'll give her an A+ on this novel! (plus, I still loved the first 3 books of the Twilight Saga - )

No comments: