Tuesday, August 5, 2008

I've Been In Denial



 This summer has been crazy for bear sightings in Anchorage. I have talked to at least a half a dozen people who have seen first hand a bear this year . . . not out on a trail . . . not up in the mountains . . . here in civilization. Out and about in normal neighborhoods. Dan saw one lopping through the front yards of our old neighborhood. My friend Jenni saw one cross the road on the way home from church and saunter into someone's back yard. One person saw one in their own back yard. I've heard of more bear sightings this year than I have since living in Alaska. BUT - I've been in denial that they could actually be close to our house. Forget the fact that we live right up against a Municipal park . . . a wooded area crawling with creatures . . . I was in denial that it was possible. Even when people would ask me . . . "Seen a bear come out of your woods yet?" . . . not even then did I think it would be possible. Until today. I pack up the four kids - throw one in a carrier backpack and head through the woods to register the two older ones for school. On the way into the woods - on our most used path - there it is . . . a big pile of scat. Not knowing if it was bear scat, I let my naiveté fester. I know it's not moose - seen too much of that to mis-identify it. I'm sure it's not dog - not rabbit - not human (at this point, I had to add it to the checklist - we've had our share of poop accidents - we're toilet training Jack!) So I looked up some pictures on the internet and even then I let my denial get the best of me. UNTIL Dan comes home and I send him out on Poop Identification Patrol. He thinks it's bear. Great . . . our kids play out there all the time - unsupervised! Gasp! Last night they were out there with friends from two other families. Hello!!!! Do you think it's time to seclude ourselves in the house yet???  How can I feel comfortable letting them out to play? How can I justify letting them walk through the woods to school? How can I possibly let them outside at all????? Oh please tell me there's a feces expert out there who can correctly identify this pile of poop coming from a nice horse or a sweet, large, mutant bunny? 

2 comments:

Run-alyn said...

Oh I'm with you.. This year we've seen a black bear twice.. the first time, right outside our backyard fence.. next to the playground they go to all the time.. the bear climb up the tree when he heard the patrol guys shooting rubber bullets at him.. that's right outside my fence.. if he wanted to, i bet he could've climb over our fence and welcomed himeslf in :)
then the other one.. oh, right in front of our neighbors (across the way) front door.. combing through a package they left in their front door.. hello, I walk past there, the kids ride bikes there..

So.. yes.. i freak out now.. but seriously i don't want to be out there with them all the time.. and when i'm not, I'm constantly looking out the window..

But only in Alaska, right.. you have to worry about things like that..! And this year bears have been extremely violent!!! and more out and about!

The Weston's said...

okay- that is disgusting- awesome that you took a pic though