Sunday, May 11, 2008

What color is my thumb?

I guess we'll find out. This past Saturday, Dan and I spent the latter half of the day out in the yard - The only gardening experience I have is during childhood - weeding between the carrots on Wednesdays in the summer as a prerequisite to swimming at my cousins'. My grandfather was an expert gardener, but as with a lot of things my grandparents or parents did - I didn't take advantage of learning from the master.
Fortunately, I have a friend that's passionate about gardening and already has dreams about how my yard will look, complete with the rustic, mossy gardening bench the previous home owners left - filled with eclectic plants and containers, visible from my kitchen window.

So far, I've "cleaned out" the beds - to the best of my knowledge. I don't know if I did it right, I don't know if I pulled something I shouldn't have, I don't know if I left weeds thinking they will sprout beautiful foliage native to Alaska. But what I do know is that it was FUN - yes, fun - to be out there in the beautiful spring weather - playing in the dirt, evening out the beds, and dreaming of what could bloom. I know that I enjoyed playing with some of the funky gardening tools the previous owners left along with the bench - even if they aren't what I was supposed to use. I think I've found another obsession, did I say obsession, I mean passion, er - hobby. 

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Oh, I love gardening!!! I can't wait to see what you decide to plant. Good luck!