Friday, May 16, 2008

You Just Never Know

It's amazing, isn't it? That our world of technology has made exponential leaps and bounds since my childhood days? I vaguely remember my first "computer class" in 5th grade, where we were supposed to "program" a computer game. Now I laugh at what was available then.
Now . . . with the internet our main source of news, 
shopping, correspondence, you just NEVER KNOW when someone is out there!!! I have received comments on my blog from the CEO of Pandora, a good friend I met in Uruguay approximately 14 years ago and my high school boyfriend.
The world is just so small . . . and so accessible. And gone are the simple days.
Do you remember:












*When "rolling down your window" really meant ROLLING it 
down? I'm sure my children will NEVER understand where that term came from.










*8-Tracks? Oh yeah!!!!! The Carpenter's, John Denver, even part of the Star Wars audio . . . we had 'em - and we loved 'em.













*Rotary phones - gosh it took forever to dial a number compared to calling at the touch of a 
programed button . . . and there it is again . . . "DIAL" a number . . . that term would never exist if it weren't for those rotary dials.












*When it was almost laughable to see someone with a cell phone. Not just because they were the size of a cinder block, but because it seemed those who owned them were pious and totally full of themselves to think they were SO important they had to be available by phone at all times.










*Multiple-CD changers in the trunk of your car? Oh yes, you had to get out of the car, put the 6 CD's in the big machine taking up half your auto storage space and then listen in awe while you mix it up from New Order to Boys 2 Men!












*Writing by hand. I had to write something lengthy the other day and it exhausted me. I think the new generation will be getting carpal tunnel from writing by hand because their muscles have been raised to type and text.


So as we nostalgically say goodbye to yesterday . . . embrace the now and leave me a message - it's fun to find out who's out there . . . cuz you just never know!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

My first car was a maroon 2-door Buick with an 8-track. It did have power windows though. The only 8-tracks I had (via my dad) were Kenny Rogers, Dolly Parton & Elvis - oh, and a really sweet folk song mix. Didn't quite fit into the Depeche Mode phase I was in.

Other things I remember...
* typewriters
* boom boxes
* beta video tapes
* Atari

Teri said...

Who did you hear from in the 'Guay??? That is so dang cool!

It is so funny how times change. Do you remember when I got my first cell phone and it was huge?!? Well we broke down and had to get one for Abbie. It is a Firefly, one made specifically for children. With as busy as our lives are getting, all the extra church and extra curricular activities, we just needed to stay better in touch all across the board. Time have changed and for safety's sake we decided a phone would be good for her if she needed us right away.

Crazy! Have a good one!
Teri