Friday, May 30, 2008

The World is Green Again!

It's an amazing phenomenon - I absolutely love this time of year. Within a matter of a week or two, our surroundings go from brown and dingy to lush and green. I always felt that Anchorage had the mountainous beauty of the Rockies and the gorgeous foliage of New England. It's a way of bringing together my favorite characteristics of Utah and Vermont. Now begins the best time of year in Alaska.


Here we are gardening this afternoon. We planted a few flowers - only enough to get me by until I go plant shopping with my friend - the expert gardener. We also planted strawberries, peppers, lettuce and tomatoes. Wish me luck. I hear that tomatoes are not the most successful here in Alaska. They like the warm weather too much.

The kids loved it - their main goal was to find and "rescue" worms. They had about 8 or so in a small shovel at one time and were piling them all in one big mound of dirt. Lucky worms . . . and I must say that I'm pretty proud of myself for letting them do as much as I did. I don't know what it was about nature and dirt, but it made me more patient and less controlling with them. We'll see how successful nature is at keeping me calm when Jack pulls up the plants!!!

1 comment:

The Weston's said...

lol ~~!!! I love love love the playpen in the back! :)