Thursday, June 19, 2008

Technology's a Tradeoff

       


So I've been thinking lately - about all the things technology has changed in our society. We're definitely a more individual-centric culture. In a crowd of people - it's not odd to have little-to-no personal interaction. Everyone is either consumed by their iPod, texting their friends, or checking their email. 
{side note - the word "texting" is flagged by spell check - I wonder how long that will be the case?}
I'm realizing how I have changed with age - and it's not just in getting older - it's also got a lot to do with modern technology. 


*I  am much better at returning emails than phone calls. I don't know what it is about the written word, but I'm much better at it than verbal communication. I'm just not a phone person - anymore. I think I used to be - but I really don't remember. I'd much rather have a quick question come at me through cyberspace so I can answer quickly and on my own time. Even if it's at 2 a.m.

* I LOVE internet shopping. Forget that colors may vary or sizes may not fit - I LOVE buying online - right when I think about my need for something - even if it's at 2 a.m. And I LOVE receiving packages - I have a folder in my email program with purchases - and if I have a couple outstanding purchases to be delivered, I really enjoy checking that folder to see what I have coming. Granted - I don't get the personal attention of customer service . . . but honestly, does that even exist anymore???

* I have really gotten into this blogging thing - not only in doing my own, but I have a handful of blogs I visit on a very regular basis. I love hearing about people's real lives, their simple and/or complex lives. When blogging first came to my attention - I didn't get it. I thought it was strange to have a "journal" for the world to access . . . didn't make sense to me. But now I love doing it - not just to check my statcounter for an idea on how many people read my insignificant posts - but to keep a better journal than I have through my entire life.


The tradeoff I guess comes when I keep tabs on friends thousands of miles away and don't know what my friends within a mile are up to in the past few weeks. Technology can't replace the human, face to face relationships. And it's something I need to keep in mind - and make sure doesn't tip the scales to drop those relationships.