Monday, June 9, 2008

Good 'Ole Fashioned Fun

If I hear, "I'm Bored!" one more time - I might just eat my young . . . hey - the house finch, sand goby, burying beetle and wolf spider all do it . . . think about that poor mama spider . . . Exhausted from just building her own {temporary} home that will be ransacked by some passerby and catching her own lunch, which I'm sure will be eaten by her young ones, she lays dozens of eggs - and once they hatch, she doesn't get any R&R . . . at least I had 4 hours before I had to come home to my other children - so they all hatch and I'm certain she hears (not in unison, that would be too orderly) "I'm Bored!" No wonder she devours the little critters!!! I can see the logic in it.

Oh no, I did it again. I distracted myself.

Anyway - this week I was cleaning out my office closet and found the 4 formula cans I've had for 2 years that I promised the kids I'd make walking stilts with. And because I need the space, I was motivated to make them. Harrison was indeed surprised and in fact mentioned that it only took me 2 years. So we pulled out the Big Bite Crop-A-dile {not really, it's on my craft table within reach due to it's constant use!) - for those of you who are not familiar with this most amazing tool - it's the greatest chick tool of all time! It's a craft punch and eyelet setter - but not just ANY punch and setter - it punches through tin, acrylic, clipboards, leather belts - you name it - and it goes through like butter! Honestly - if I hadn't waited this long, I would have pulled out my husband's drill and taken 3 times the effort to make the holes! So, making holes in the cans was easy shmeezy! Plus, that thing has a long arm reach so we got the holes up closer to the top. We then threaded a thin rope through - and using some clear tubing I had for a different 2-year old project {that one I DID finish} we made comfortable handles.
An easy project for all of us to make in 15 minutes or less - and it bought me at least an hour of "I'm bored"-free time. Lucky for my kids I haven't devoured them YET.

{Photos and Project June 5, 2008}


3 comments:

Rachel said...

Cute idea!!! I have way too many 2 year old (and older) unfinished projects sitting in my craft room. I just keep saying, "someday..."

Run-alyn said...

You are so innovative!!!

Just like the time you tried to shove the shelf into the wall at the scrapbook store.. you always make things work!

Juannaelmi said...

I also have some tin cans that are awaiting the same end, but I have yet to make them. I am not sure if Nate will really enjoy them yet.