Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Bargain vs. Brand: Beauty Edition

So I got to thinking the other day about why I use certain products . . . trial and error, I suppose . . . but as I got thinking deeper, I went back to childhood and remember not using anything expensive in the beauty department. My mom wasn't ever into skin care and makeup much or an extensive hair regimen, so naturally we had the least expensive products. I remember some "Agree" shampoo and "Dial" soap in there . . . and as my world expanded and I had control over what I bought, the first thing that went from bargain to brand was my hair-care products - but seeing how I do have a bit of my mom in me . . . I don't buy things just for the brand, I'm a bit reserved in how I spend my hard earned $$ - {or should I say "my husband's hard earned $$"!}
So here's what I use and why:

HAIR CARE: Yes - I purchase my hair care products at the salon. Everything from shampoo & conditioner to gel, spray and thermal protectant. (It's to protect your hair from heat!) I have tried various drug-store products and have had bad to horrific results every time. That's not to say that they are bad for everyone, I've just never found anything to make my hair do what I for $3.95. So I have a handful of brands that I rely on . . . and when I'm even close to almost out of something I immediately get more because I've run out of hair spray and had to go late Saturday night to Walmart in order to try and look normal for Sunday - and I just end up having a horrible, rotten, awful hair day on Sunday. Can't ever let that happen again!

Shower gel: I switched from Dove bars (not the chocolate variety!) to shower gel while expecting Jackson. I have this horrible scent aversion when I'm pregnant and any soapy smelling product made me sick. So while in Utah, I braved a Bath & Bodyworks store (those places are a nightmare when your sense of smell is so intensified!!!) and found a couple things that didn't make me wanna run to the nearest bathroom. Ever since, I've been sold - and very sad there isn't a Bath  & Bodyworks store in Anchorage - they say there's one on base, but I'm not about to enlist just for the right body gel!!! Thank heaven for their on-line store and regular sales!

Lotion: Although I LOVE the smell of the lotions that coordinate with the Bath & Bodyworks shower gels, they do nothing for my dry skin . . . so good old basic lotions are what I go for. And you can get a 2-pk of the jumbo bottles at Costco. Now that's a silky smooth skin bargain!
Facial Moisturizer: OK, so I don't have an acne problem . . . however, when I'm pregnant, those darn hormones make anyone believe that I do - and I found this great moisturizer while pregnant with Jackson - my entire chin cleared up where otherwise I looked like rosacea meets the alps! I've been using it ever since - and never had acne sneak up on me since - even through Aidan's pregnancy. And it's sold at Walmart & Fred Meyer. Talk about a great bargain!

Foundation: A couple years ago my sister Teresa started selling Mary Kay. She got me hooked on a few things . . . and I've been using them ever since, but this little sweetheart is new. I've wanted to try some of the trendy "mineral" foundations but never wanted to shell out 6 installments of $19.99 for a sketchy infomercial. But in my last order - I saw Mary Kay had one and thought I'd try it. Totally loved it from the first application! I don't use any liquid foundation anymore and I really like the coverage on my freckled, splotchy skin.
Eyebrow Pencil: So I used to get the Mary Kay eyebrow pencil, but in my search to find something quick I found this little gem. I really like it - it's self-sharpening, meaning you twist it up - and it's a VERY thin pencil - none of this 1/2" thick eyebrows. Dark Blonde is my color and I appreciate that I can find it at Walmart.
Eye Shadow: Cover Girl, L'oreal, Maybelline, it's all the same to me - I'm not picky about my shadow brand - mostly because I can get more variety for the price . . . and it's not like the expensive shadows do anything spectacular - they just color your eyelids like the cheap stuff, so drug store bargain shadows for me.
Mascara: I found this little gem through a young women's beauty night. We had a beautician {is that even what they're called anymore?} come talk to the girls about makeup and hair - and she told us the best drug-store mascara was Cover Girl's Remarkable mascara - it's "washable waterproof" and I absolutely love it. I've never found anything I like better. She also told us that unless you have black hair, you shouldn't wear black mascara - so I've bought brown-black ever since. I have very few "bad eye-lash days."
Lipliner & Lipstick: These are my long-time friends. I've been using Mary Kay liner and lipstick for a LONG time now. They last forever on my lips. And they don't dry my lips out.
Hand Soap: Yet again, I turn to Bath & Bodyworks online to find my hand soaps. For years I've used SoftSoap and never complained until that pregnancy with Jackson. I've never been able to go back - anytime I'm at a store or public restroom, I flinch when they have it because I have to talk myself into believing the smell of the soap is better than not washing my hands at all. I know - horrible, isn't it? But I just can't stand that smell, and even if they are "scented" something extraordinary like lavender or lilac/berry . . . they all have that same base smell. ICK! So I enjoy having an antibacterial, moisturizing soap that gives off a pleasant aroma at the same time!
And last but not least, Eye Makeup Remover: Mary Kay again. I've tried a few of the drugstore brands and been content enough, but there's something about this makeup remover . . . it seems to moisturize and nourish my eyelashes . . . no - don't laugh at me! It's true. I have fuller, longer, better lashes when I'm cleaning them off with this brand - so doubt me all you want, but when I flutter my long lashes in your face, don't complain to me!

So there you have it - my take on bargains versus brands in the beauty category . . . stay tuned for household bargains vs. brands and possibly food as well.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I also love the bath & body works shower gels - even Scott uses them no matter how girlie they might smell. I also L-O-V-E the neutrogena oil-free moisturizer - I use that exact same one and my skin loves it. I also like the oil-free facial cleanser. And I'm going to try that CG mascara you use! :)

The Weston's said...

he he** I believe that I your wonderful sister introduced you to that very exact scent of shower gel at Bed Bath and Beyond! and DITTO on the hair products and MK makeup remover- I keep trying other brands, but i need to find a MK seller again!

Run-alyn said...

Oh what a fun entry!!! I love reading this kind of stuff :) Been a bit on the somber side.. but so glad to see your fun posts :) gets you in that cheery mood :)