Tuesday, June 24, 2008

What would YOU do???

Here's the thing . . . I'm a silver girl. Every ring, bracelet, necklace, set of earrings - all silver. The only gold piece of jewelry I own is my wedding ring. I love my wedding ring. Dan designed it and had it made just for me. I've always loved it because he put thought into it - he really pondered about the ring he wanted to give his wife. I love the design. I've never scratched myself, never scratched my kids. Never worried about that beautiful diamond prying out of it's prongs. I've thought it was classic yet different enough - it's so me. Except for the fact that it's gold.


So if you've been keeping up with me & my blog {and for the life of me I can't figure out why not if you haven't!} you know that for our 10th anniversary {celebrated on June 12} we decided to finally get the same ring made in white gold. We're heading to Idaho/Utah on vacation soon - and plan to take it to the jeweler that made the original, melt the gold down, get a new ring made, set the diamond and have it back on my finger before coming home.

The only problem is - as the time gets closer, I'm getting sentimental. It won't be the same ring he put on my finger for the first time. It won't be the same ring that's been with me for 10 years. What's wrong with me? Don't I want it to match everything else I have? But that's another issue - it won't match Dan's wedding band. He's got yellow gold, too.
So . . . if you were me . . . what would you do? Take part in my Ring Dilema Poll and help me out with this decision!!! And if you have a new idea altogether - I'd also love to hear it.

7 comments:

Run-alyn said...

aww.. how sweet.. love that story.

I don't know girl.. I think I would keep it as it is.. Maybe get another "10 Year" ring that is white gold?

It seems sentimental enough.. to keep it as is.. and you can make new memories with your "10 Year" ring.?

That's as deep as I get.. :)

Enjoy!

Did you ever have that meeting.. oh girl.. you gotta plan a week or 2 in advance :) I could not make it today.. and I did call Amy :)

Run-alyn said...

Hey I just saw the poll thingy!
How did you do that???

Very nice..

The Dean Family said...

Tonya, I so love hearing about what your cute family is up to. We miss you guys! I couldn't pass up posting regarding your ring poll. Since I'm very much a traditionalist, I say keep the original ring. I really think you'll regret changing it, even 10 years from now. Jewelry styles are cyclical...yellow gold will return, I promise. Since Dan did such a great job with your engagement ring, why not have him design another ring for you for your 10th anniversary. Maybe something that fits against your engagement ring? Here's a novel idea -it can even be made from white gold! Just a thought.

Don't be strangers!
The Dean Family

Rachel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel said...

OK, I have no idea if this is even an option since I'm not a chemist/jeweler but, can't they chemically do something to yellow gold to make it look like white gold??? It seems like I've seen SOMETHING like that on the Discovery channel - or maybe it was just really late and I was dreaming it. Anyway, something to maybe look into? I love your ring design by the way - very beautiful.

And that was me deleting my comment above. I am a terrible speller and it really bugs me - I forgot to edit before I posted!

The Weston's said...

i say that you get a silver band that "spoons" the sides of your original- that way you have a gold AND silver ring to match- it's still the original, it still matches Dan's, and you don't have TWO rings to look at!
Tais

Teri said...

When I got my diamond, it was platinum and didn't match my white gold band. The jeweler told me that they could do something called "rhodium" plating (I don't know if that is how it is spelled) to match the platinum. I don't know if that is something you could do to the original ring or not. I'm not too sentimental about my ring....but then again, I'm not being faced with the thought of replacing it. I don't think I would mind, just as long as there is a new memory made when I get the new one! Good luck! That is a tough decision!